First of all, a beginner has to learn how to install a WordPress plugin first. WordPress has plugins in its directory, these plugins add functions that you can put on your WordPress website. Features such as a shopping cart, contact form, slideshow, and much more can be added.
In addition, WordPress has a wide variety of paid or free plugins. In this post we are going to guide you to show you how to install a WordPress plugin step by step.
What do we have to do before starting to install a WordPress plugin?
Table of Contents
- 1 What do we have to do before starting to install a WordPress plugin?
- 2 How to Install a WordPress Plugin
- 3 FAQs About Installing WordPress Plugins
You cannot install the plugins if you are using WordPress.com. Many users comment that in their WordPress dashboard they cannot see the plugins menu. All this happens because WordPress.com has some limitations.
If you want, you can install any plugins hosted on your own hosting on your WordPress.org website right away. You also have the option to change WordPress.com to WordPress.org.
How to Install a WordPress Plugin
So that you do not complicate your life, we have left you a tutorial on how to install a WordPress plugin:
Also if you prefer, we have left you the steps to follow in this tutorial on how to install a WordPress add-on. We have developed all three methods: uploading a WordPress plugin, installing a WordPress plugin using search, using FTP to manually install it. Are you ready to start? Here we go, friends of O3Magazine.
Method 1: Use WordPress Plugin Search to Install a Plugin
In this method to install a plugin from WordPress we will have to use the search from the WordPress plugin directory. The plugin must be in the WordPress plugin directory to be able to carry it out. The first thing we have to do is go to “Plugins” and then click on “Add new” within your administration area of WordPress.
Once you are here, you must look for the complement with the name where the search engine is. Once you place the name, a list will be displayed:
As an example, our O3Magazine team has searched for the Ninja Forms plugin which is one of the best plugins currently on the contact form market. Once we find it in the search engine, we will click on the “Install now” button and then WordPress will download and install it automatically without disturbing you. Once you have done the above, you just have to click the “Install Now” button and then click the “Activate” button.
You always have to activate WordPress plugins for them to start working properly. Now you have to “Activate” the plugin and then start configuring the settings of the selected plugin. Depending on the plugin you need, the configuration will vary.
Method 2: Use the WordPress Admin Plugin Upload to Install a Plugin
In the WordPress plugin directory, WordPress paid plugins are not showing up. These plugins can only be installed with the previous method. Now we will explain how to install plugins from WordPress in the admin area using the upload option.
- First, plugin source file you need to download it (Which a zip file will be).
- You have to go to wp-admin section and visit “Plugins” and then select “Add New”.
- At the top of the page, you have to click on the “Upload Plugin” button.
- Then, you have to click the “Choose File” button and select the plugin file that was previously downloaded to your computer.
- At this point, you have to select the “Install Now” button. From your computer WordPress will load the plugin file and install it automatically. After the installation is complete, you will receive a success message.
- Now we have to select the “Activate plugin” button if we want to start using the plugin.
- Finally, you can configure all the settings you need. Depending on the plugin, the configuration will vary.
Method 3: Manually Install a WordPress Plugin using FTP
Sometimes, some file restrictions may arise from a WordPress hosting provider that could limit the ability to install a plugin from the administration area. If this happens to you, you have to manually install the plug-in using FTP. For beginners, this method of the FTP manager is more complicated.
- The first thing you have to do is download the source file of the plugin, which will be a zip file.
- Now you have to extract the zip file from your computer.
- When you extract the zip file of the plugin, a new folder with the same name will be created. This is the folder that you must manually upload to your website using an FTP client. You should access your host through the FTP manager, if for anything you don’t have your FTP credentials then, contact your hosting company.
- On your computer, open the FTP client software and connect to your website using the login credentials provided by your web host.
- After connected, go to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your website.
- Now you have to upload zip folder you extracted to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your web server.
- When you have uploaded the files, you need to select “Plugins in the admin menu” on yout WordPress admin area. On the plugins page, will show you that your plugin is been installed successfully.
- Now you need to “Activate” the plugin to start working with it on your website. Once activated, you must configure the plugin settings.
FAQs About Installing WordPress Plugins
Surely you have quite a few questions or doubts about how to install WordPress plugins. Well, we have selected the most prominent and frequently asked questions that you send us to the O3Magazine team:
What is the difference between installed and active plugins?
WordPress allows us to install any plugin and not use it if we don’t need it. If you want to use a WordPress plugin, just select the “Activate” button. The activated add-ons can be seen in the WordPress administration area on the “Add-ons” page. It will turn blue.
How to find the best plugins of WordPress for my site?
In the WordPress plugins directory we can find more than 55,000 free plugins or add-ons. We can also find a wide variety of premium plugins if you need to increase the functionality of your website.
How many plugins I can install in WordPress?
The more than 55,000 free plugins that the WordPress directory offers can be installed in WordPress and also premium plugins from legitime authors.
Inactive plugins should I delete them?
Plugins that you are not using, it is advisable to always delete them.
How do I uninstall a WordPress plugin
If you go to the administration area and go to the “Plugins” page, you can uninstall the WordPress plugin. If you want to remove a plugin that is still active, you must first deactivate it.
That’s all from this step by step tutorial for beginners to tech how to install a WordPress plugin. We hope that this tutorial has helped you to learn how to do it the right way. If you have any questions about how to install a WordPress plugin, feel free to submit them in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help out.